Thursday, January 20, 2011

Witchcurse – Heavy Metal Poison LP (GREECE) 2010


As I listen, I struggle with deciding how I really feel about this album. Its thin sounding mediocrity really does nothing to persuade my indecisive mind. Very standard unoriginal riffs and melodies that might have come from the recycle bin
 of the N.W.O.B.H.M. 30 years prior. I’ll give them credit for the gang vocal choruses that clutter their songs making you want to shout along, but the Twisted Sister wannabe “I Don’t Want To Grow Up” is unforgivable. The best song on the album is “Pay The Price” but it’s still no standout and the vocals in general aren’t delivering the goods. To be frank, most of the songs are too akin and really lack the lustre to stand the test of time, or to be even played again. Witchcurse just comes off as a cheap N.W.O.B.H.M. copy and this album might in fact be Heavy Metal Poison.

4 comments:

  1. Hmm.. Very interesting review about Witchcurse my friend. But I strongly disagree with you. In my poor opinion, this gorgeous band keeps it true. They are much better than nuprogressivemetalpunkcore bullcrap that damages my brain cells. And,to be honest,the band's vocals by Possessed Rock the hell out. I found a new addiction to this album. For me, they are the true keepers of the new wave of british heavy metal sound. Greetings from Greece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my earlier reviews, which I can admit, is quite critical. But I stand by my opinion. True, there is much worse music, in this post 90's world, but there is much, much better stuff out there. Do you know of any other bands from Greece I should check out?
    Thank you for taking the time to comment.
    Cheers from Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you were just a bit more mean, regarding to Witchcurse. But I know, each one has his own opinion. You may believe what you wish my friend. I like'em a lot, I enjoy their music and I am looking forward for their next release.
    Well, there is a band from Greece, called ConsPiracy, you may like to get a glimpse on that.
    It was my pleasure talking to you, weird guy.
    Hope we'll speak again! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was pretty bad. But each their own I suppose. Hopefully their next release is better, but I'll be sure to check out ConsPiracy when I get the chance. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete